5th Jan - 12th Jan

 

 

 

Came back from Christmas break we just started a new interesting project.

 Honestly, it was my favorite project till now because it is about my first interest of Lettering and Typography and in particular I enjoyed the possibility to create a modular alphabet following my personal taste and inspiration.

 Starting from a selection of sounds from everyday life, I had to represent a sound using colour, scale, image and text to create a single and personal character. I dedicated my time to study a set of six different alphabets, experimenting materials and techniques, deconstructing and reconstructing the anatomy of type and create a model in 2D and 3D.

 

At first I studied the anatomy of letterforms ( serif, ligature, x-height, bowl, kerning, etc.etc..) and exactly every single part that composes a letterform, and it was interesting discover how actually each type follows specific rules and regular construction.

 After that, I started my research taking inspiration from the sound of water, metal, car's motor and music and I tried to use different technique, (cutting, rolling, folding) and materials (ink, acrylics, glue and salt, tracing paper, electrical tape). At this point I had some difficulties to find something that satisfied me. So, sketch by sketch, I followed my tutor's advice, that was to use directly the tape, in other words not sketching before but leaving my mind free to imagine a new form. As he told I tried and immediately I found a first good result.

From this moment I was practically approaching the right way. I was creating a real type.

However, the problems are never far away. 

 

After have selected my type and created an entire alphabet (modular), as requested I started to realise a large-scale on cardboard of a letter inspired by the metal's sound. Realising the 3D paper model I created a fantastic and original solution but during the realising of the cardboard model I had to solve some material and stability problems of my large-size letter. In fact, made of paper, the structure is lighter and for this reason is easier build a structure with a base, instead in the other case the material is heavier and it doesn't support the structure and it inevitably falls. For this reason I decided to hang up my letter and leave it free to rotate and move. The best thing I've done is surely the type's structure. I found a system through which my type is divided and assembled, full and empty, static and dynamic, single and multiple. All at the same time. 

I think I have reached my goal.

 

 

Comments

Add comment

Fields marked by '*' are required.
Comments are moderated. If you choose to make this comment public, it will not be visible to others until it is approved by the owner.
Help for "License"
The license for this content.

Help for "Licensor"
The original licensor for this content.
Help for "Original URL"
The original URL for this content.

Reply to:

Public
Private: This reply will only be visible to you and the author of the preceeding comment.